Let the past make your future!
Students who major in history can benefit in numerous ways that are personally enriching as well as practical in terms of future careers. A history major at St. Bonaventure University will gain the following:
- an understanding of the principal events and developments in U.S. and world history from ancient times to the present;
- insights into the process of history, how various causes and consequences are related;
- the ability to learn lessons from the past;
- better perspectives on current problems through knowledge of how they were produced;
- improved skills in reading, analysis, writing, and other areas in demand in a wide array of professional careers;
- enhanced knowledge of computers.
In addition, a history major at St. Bonaventure enjoys...
- flexibility—a student can fashion his or her individual course of study (see B.A. program link for information related to secondary education, the Honors Program, the history BA/MBA five-year program, and other ways in which students can devise degree programs to suit their particular needs);
- small class size, permitting significant contact between professors and individual students;
- professors who are published authorities in their fields and who enjoy working with students;
- numerous internships available in various libraries, archives, museums, and historical societies.
For more information...
Please contact the chair of the department, Dr. Phillip Payne.