Transfer Admissions Process
We aim to make your transfer experience to St. Bonaventure as easy and convenient as possible. On this page you will find answers to frequently asked questions from transfer students. St. Bonaventure has rolling admissions, which means that you can apply at anytime! Our admission decision is based upon your performance in college as a student and individual. The majority of our transfer applicants have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better. However, the best way to determine if a student is a good fit for St. Bonaventure (and vice versa) is through an on-campus interview. It is encouraged that all applicants contact our transfer coordinator, however, it is especially important for those students whose cumulative GPA is below or around a 2.5.
For in-depth information, please contact Ms. Alex Caldwell, Transfer Coordinator, at 716-375-2033 or 1-800-642-5050.
Where do I start?
What is required of every student seeking admission as a Transfer Student into SBU:
- First you must apply!
- Provide our office with an official copy of your high school transcript.
- Send official transcripts from all colleges attended, including those you attended while in high school.
- Provide Transfer Recommendation Form completed by the Dean of Students (or comparable official) from the institution most recently attended. (Residential Students only)
What is required to complete my application for admission?
- Completed Application
- Send Transcripts from all colleges attended, even from those attended during high school
- Send High School Transcripts
- Complete the Transfer Recommendation Form (Residential applicants only)
- A campus visit is highly encouraged
What application should I use?
- Quick, easy and FREE!
- You create an account.
- You are guided through a step-by-step process to complete the application.
General Questions for Transfer Students
When will I be notified of an admissions decision?
You will be notified of your admission decision within one week of all of the required documents being submitted. Please note that some students will be required to speak with our Transfer Coordinator as part of the admission decision process.
What is the Credit Evaluation process?
St. Bonaventure is a very transfer friendly community! Recently we made significant changes to our Transfer Policies. In general:
- You must have a 'C' or better for acceptance of credits within your major field of study.
- Most college credits are accepted.
- A preliminary evaluation of credit will be sent to you after the acceptance decision is made.
- You will be assigned an academic adviser who will recommend a program of study for your future semesters at the University.
How do I get credit for college courses I took in high school?
St. Bonaventure does accept credits from college courses taken during high school (Advanced Placement Courses):
- Log onto www.collegeboard.com and request that your AP scores be sent to St. Bonaventure University.
- In general, a 3 or better is required on the AP test to obtain college credit.
How do I get credit for college courses?
- These credits will not show up on your high school transcripts. Please directly contact the College/University in which you took these courses and have your transcripts sent to St. Bonaventure University.
When is the confirmation of enrollment due?
A nonrefundable $200 deposit is due by August 1 for fall applicants or January 5 or spring applicants to guarantee a spot in the incoming class. Since we have rolling admission, we are able to accept new transfer students up until classes begin. The earlier you apply and are accepted, the earlier you will be able to register for both your courses and housing, as we are registering students for classes and assigning housing on a first come, first served basis for transfer students.
What if I want to live on campus?
Housing is guaranteed for students who pay their $200 confirmation deposit by May 1 (for students applying for the fall semester) or by January 5 (for students applying for the spring semester). Housing will then be awarded on a first come, first served basis.
Am I eligible for Financial Aid/Transfer Scholarships?
To be considered for Financial Aid:
For many, financial aid is an important part of the transfer process. At St. Bonaventure, we award Transfer Scholarships to students who achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.5, based upon the official transcripts from all colleges attended. Our Transfer Scholarship Page will provide an extensive breakdown of the scholarships available to you.
For a financial aid brochure or further information, contact:
Director of Financial Aid
St. Bonaventure University
St. Bonaventure, New York 14778