- Ph.D., Fundamental Theology, Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, Italy
- Licentiate in Fundamental Theology, Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, Italy
- Bachelor's in Sacred Theology, Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, Italy
- Master of Arts, Liturgical Theology, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana
- Bachelor of Arts, English and Philosophy, Pontifical College Josephinum, Columbus, Ohio
- 2010-11, visiting professor, Fairfield University
- 2006-10, associate professor of theology, Fordham University
- 2000-06, assistant professor of theology, St. John’s University
- 1999-2000, adjunct faculty in Theology, Ohio Dominican College, Columbus, Ohio
- 1991-94, lecturer, Pontifical College Josephinum, College of Liberal Arts, Columbus, Ohio
- Associate Pastor (1995-1996), St. Brigid of Kildare Church Dublin, Ohio; adjunct faculty, Pontifical College Josephinum; faculty member for Diocese of Columbus Diaconate Formation
- Director of Spiritual Formation (1993-1994), Dean of Students (1991-1993), Director of Pastoral Formation Columbus, Ohio Pontifical College Josephinum, College of Liberal Arts
- Director of Spiritual Formation (1990-1991) Immaculate Conception Seminary, Santa Fe, N.M.
- Pastor (1988-1990), St. Nicholas Church, Kinsley, Kan.
- Vocation Director (1988-1990), Diocese of Dodge City Dodge City, Kan.
- Director of Liturgy (1988-1990), Diocese of Dodge City Dodge City, Kan.
- Co-director of Permanent Diaconate (1988-1990), Diocese of Dodge City, Dodge City, Kan.
- Associate pastor (1984-1987), Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, Dodge City, Kan.
- A monograph proposal has been accepted by Ashgate Press. The work, which is complete, is a post-modern look at the nature of the soul, titled "The Book of Life: On the Nature of the Soul as Narrative."
- I am publishing with Loyola Press another popular work on spirituality.
- Wittgenstein and the Metaphysics of Grace. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- How Things Are in the World: Metaphysics and Theology in Wittgenstein and Rahner. Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Marquette University Press, 2003.
- Vanity Faith: Searching for Spirituality among the Stars. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2009.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “The Art of Knowing” The Heythrop Journal 51, no. 1 (2010): 60-72
- “Karl Rahner on the Human Soul.” St. Anselm Journal. 6:1 (Fall 2008).
- “A Liturgy of Return: Symbol as Life-Giving in Literature and Theology.” Philosophy and Theology. 19:1-2 (2007).
- “Adventures in Alterity: Wittgenstein, Aliens, Anselm, and Aquinas.” New Blackfriars 88, no. 1013 (2007): 73-86.
- “Act and Potency in Wittgenstein?” The Heythrop Journal 47, no. 4 (2006): 601-21.
- “The Supernatural as Language Game.” Zygon Journal of Religion and Science 41, no. 2 (2006): 365-79.
- “The Forge of Language.” Philosophy and Theology. 15:1 (2003): 143-163.
- “The Snap of Grace: Asking the Easter Question of Faith.” New Theology Review 16:2 (May 2003): 56-64.
- “Advent and the Evangelical Struggle for Cultural Symbols.” Worship 69 (November 1995): 538-556.
- “Institution Narratives at the Crossroads.” Worship 67 (September 1993): 407-418.
Current Peer Reviewed Article Submissions
- “Cupio Deo et Animam Deo Scire.” Essay contributed to a festschrift for Archbishop Rino Fischella. Lateran University Press, 2010.
- “Excuse: Clerical Abuse and the Reception of Revelation” submitted to the Journal of Religion, June 2011.
- “The Soul in Cyberspace” submitted to the Harvard Theological Review, July 2011.
Other Professional Publications
- “Chicken Little Gets Her Gun,” America (July 8, 2011).
- “The Storyteller’s Art: Rediscovery Norman Rockwell,” America (May 24, 2010).
- “When I Grow Up: TNT’s Men of a Certain Age” America’s Blog: In All Things, Jan.3, 2010, http://www.americamagazine.org/content/culture.cfm?cultureid=87
- “Neverland Awaits: Is Michael Jackson Our Future,” America’s Blog: In All Things, Oct. 5, 1999, http://www.americamagazine.org/content/culture.cfm?cultureID=61
- “Manhattan Gothic: AMC’s Mad Men,” America (October 5, 2009).
- “A Space for Inquiry: Catholic Universities and the Search for Meaning,” America (September 15, 2008).
- "Backyard Grace,” Chicago Studies 41:3 (Fall/Winter 2002): 302-315.
- “The Silent Love: Trying to Understand Celibacy,” Chicago Studies 41:1 (Spring 2002): 70-79.
- “Conservative Games.” The Month (December 2000): 463-468.
- “Ten Ways to Improve Your Prayer Life,” U.S. Catholic 64, 3 (March 1999) 10-15.
- “A Consequence Yet Hanging in the Stars.” GIA Quarterly 9 (Fall 1997): 10-11, 38-39.
- “Vocations and the Crisis of Communal Life,” Review for Religious 55 (September-October 1996): 474-484.
- “How Families Can Solve the Vocation Crisis.” U.S. Catholic 61, 4 (April 1996): 35-37.
- “The RCIA...Finding Self in the Arms of Another.” GIA Quarterly 7 (Winter 1996): 8-10.
- “Vocation as Liberation and Revelation,” Review for Religious 54 (September-October 1995): 754-771.
- “Of Secrecy and Suspense in the Catechumenate.” GIA Quarterly 6 (Winter 1995): 8-10.
- “In the End Joy: Celebrating Advent.” GIA Quarterly 5 (Fall 1994)
- “U.S. Culture and College Seminaries.” America 170 (18 June 1994): 16-21.
- “Discerning Vocations.” America 168 (1 May 1993): 10-11.
- Wittgenstein and Theology by Tim Labron. The Heythrop Journal 52:1 (January 2011): 157-58.
- Evidence and Transcendence: Religious Epistemology and the God-World Relationship by Anne E. Inman. Theological Studies 70:2 (June 2009): 504-505.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein: A Cultural Point of View: Philosophy in the Darkness of this Time (Ashgate Wittgensteinian Studies), by William James DeAngelis.
- Wittgenstein and the End of Philosophy: Neither Theory nor Therapy (2nd ed.), by Daniel D. Hutto. The Heythrop Journal 59:2 (March, 2009): 357-358.
- Grammar and Grace: Reformulations of Aquinas and Wittgenstein, eds. Jeffrey Stout and Robert MacSwain. The Thomist 69:3 (July, 2005): 479-483.
- Worship: Searching for Language, by Gail Ramshaw. GIA Quarterly 1 (Fall 1990): 38-39.
- Spirituality: Rooted in Liturgy, by Shawn Madigan. GIA Quarterly 1 (Fall 1990): 39.
Book Reviews Accepted for Publication
- Edward Schillebeeckx and Contemporary Theology, eds. Lieven Boeve, Frederiek Depoortere, and Stephen Van Erp. The Heythrop Journal.
- Wittgenstein’s (Misunderstood) Religious Thought, by Earl Stanley B. Fronda. The Heythrop Journal.
- Theology within the Bounds of Language: A Methodological Tour, by Garth L. Hallett. The Thomist.
Academic Program Appearances
- 2011 (June 10-12: San Jose, CA) “Holiness in Hollywood?” presented in an invited session of the Catholic Theological Society of America.
- 2008 (June 11-12: Manchester, NH) “Karl Rahner on the Human Soul,” presented as the keynote paper for the Metaphysics Colloquium of St. Anselm’s College. http://www.anselm.edu/Institutes-Centers-and-the-Arts/Institute-for-Saint-Anselm-Studies/Saint-Anselm-Journal/Archives/Vol-6-No-1-fall-2008.htm
- 2007 (June 7-10: Los Angeles) “Shepherds of the Search” presented in an invited session at the Catholic Theological Society of America.
- 2006 (October 27-29: Granville, OH) Moderator of Session on Aquinas, Mind, and World.
- 2006 (June 8-11: San Antonio, TX) Chaired meeting of the Karl Rahner Society
- 2006 (June 1-4: Denver, CO) Served as convener for the Philosophy of Religion sections of the College Theology Society.
- 2005 (June 9-12: St. Louis, MO) Respondent to Gregory Rocca’s presentation of his book, Speaking the Incomprehensible God, in the Theology and Philosophy section of the Catholic Theological Society of America.
- 2005 (June 2-5: Mobile, AL) Respondent to a panel book discussion of my book How Things Are in the World in the Philosophy of Religion Subsection of the College Theology Society.
- 2004 (June 3-6: Washington, D.C.) Served as convener for the Philosophy of Religion section of the College Theology Society.
- 2004 (June 11: Reston, VA) Addressed the Constructive Theology Group of the Catholic Theological Society of America on the topic, “Adventures in Alterity: Wittgenstein, Aliens, Anselm, and Aquinas.
- 2003 (June 8: Cincinnati) Addressed the Karl Rahner Society at the Catholic Theological Society of America on the topic of Rahner’s ontology of the Symbol
- 2003 (May 31: Milwaukee) Responded to Joseph Bracken’s book The One in the Many for the Philosophy of Religion section of the College Theology Society.
- 2003 (June 1: Milwaukee) Gave a “Spiritual Autobiography Presentation” at the College Theology Society.
- 2002 (June 8: New Orleans) Presented doctoral research, “The Forge of Language” at the invitation of the Karl Rahner Society to the CatholicTheological Society of America.
Other Professional Activities
- 2011 “Forgotten Foundations of Catholic Spirituality” in Living Theology Workshops, Center for Catholic Studies, Fairfield University.
- 2010 Community Discernment Day Speaker, Ursulines of Tildonk, Point Blue, New York.
- 2009 Radio segment for WFUV “Fordham Conversations,” Nov. 14th, on "The Soul as Narrative. http://wfuv4.libsyn.com/rss
- 2008 (November 21: Columbus, OH) “The Allure and Painful Promise of Catholicism” presented to the Committee for Catholic Identity of Ohio Dominican University.
- 2008 (August 25: Hartford, CT) “A Marriage of Opposites: The Catholic Intellectual Tradition” presented to the faculty of St. Joseph’s College for an in-service day on Catholic identity.
- 2007-9 Lecturer in Center for Religious Inquiry, St. Bartholomew’s Church, New York
- 2005 Columnist for The Letter of the Catholic Teachers Association of the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens.
- 2003 (January) Parish Mission on Grace, Sacraments, and Eucharist at Christ the King Church, Evergreen Colorado
- 2002 (May) Addressed the Catholic Teachers Association of the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens: “Breaking Bread, with Jelly”
- 2000 Assisted in the preparation of a pastoral letter of James A. Griffin, Bishop of Columbus, on health benefits and their relationship to the values of marriage and family, A Blessing not Lost.
- 2000 (June) Diocese of Columbus Summer Institute Key Note Address: Latens Deitas: Understanding Rahner
- 2000 (August) St. Charles Preparatory School, Columbus, OH, In-service speaker for faculty on Catholicity
- 1999 Served as “ambassador” for World Council of Churches study-visit to the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome.
- 1995 (June) Two, three day seminars on sacramental theology to the priests of the Archdiocese of San Francisco.
- 1991 Presentation on sacramental theology to the priests of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.
- 1986 Assisted in the preparation of a pastoral letter of Bishop Stanley G. Schlarman, Bishop of Dodge City, “Celebrating Sunday Eucharist.”