The minor in Arabic and Islamic Studies is 18 credits. For an overview of a particular course, click on its title. To see all course descriptions on a single page, see Arabic and Islamic Studies at SBU.
- Required courses:
- One elective drawn from:
To declare a minor, a special form must be filled out and filed with the Records Office by the end of the student's junior year. The appropriate form is available from the student's advisor or from the Office of the Registrar.
The minor in Arabic and Islamic Studies has many varied and exciting career paths available. Here are just a few fields and types of employers available with a minor in Arabic and Islamic Studies:
- Government: Linguistics, Diplomacy, Civil Service, Foreign Service, Customs, Immigration/Naturalization, Intelligence
- Arts, Media, Entertainment: Advertising, Journalism/Broadcasting, Publishing/Editing, Translation/Interpretation, Public Relations
- Industry and Commerce: Banking/Finance, Sales, Customer Services, Manufacturing, Imports/Exports, Administrative Services
- Travel and Tourism: Airline Services, Management, Translation/Interpretation, Booking and Reservations, Travel Services/Guidance
- Interpretation/Translation: Escort/Guide, Judiciary, Translation, Literature, Localization, Medical
- Service and Education: Teaching, Educational Administration, Civil Service, Social Work, Mission Work, Library Science, Health Services