This 48-hour program, which is registered by New York state, is designed for individuals who wish to help people with physical, mental, emotional, or social disabilities at various stages in their lives.
Rehabilitation counselors help
- students to develop strategies to live with their disability and to move from school to work
- veterans cope with the mental or physical effects of their military service
- elderly people adapt to disabilities developed later in life due to illness or injury.
Students in the program develop skills in these areas:
- treatment planning
- advocacy skills
This program is offered at the main campus in Allegany and at the Buffalo Center in Hamburg.
Certification and Licensure
Upon successful completion of this degree, and 12 months of acceptable employment experience supervised by a certified rehabilitation counselor (CRC), graduates may apply to take the CRC examination [Category B]. Specific details are located on the CRCC website, under eligibility requirements.
Students in this program wishing to also obtain a school or mental health counseling credential should consult with their adviser.
Admission to this degree program is based on:
*State law requires St. Bonaventure to collect immunization records from students taking six or more credit hours in any semester.
- Application & writing sample
- Official transcripts of all prior college work
- Two letters of recommendation
- First year: Students are expected to complete an initial practicum field experience (40 hours of direct counseling), which is non-track specific.
- Second year: Students are required to complete two track-specific internships, each involving 300 clock hours.
Site supervisors of the internships must be certified rehabilitation counselors. The placement process is a collaborative effort between students and faculty members.
In order to be awarded the MSED in Counselor Education - Rehabilitation Counseling, a student will be evaluated on the following exit criteria:
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (working standard)
- Successful completion of the internship
- Submission of a portfolio showing professional growth and accomplishments
- Successful completion of the comprehensive examination and e-folio