Jun 15, 2018 |
While welcoming a new president and celebrating 160 years of existence, St. Bonaventure University alumni and friends donated more than $2.7 million to the university’s annual fund during the 2018 fiscal year, surpassing the $2.5 million goal and marking another year of the most money raised for The Bonaventure Fund.
More than 4,500 donors contributed gifts between June 1, 2017, and May 31, 2018.
“Bona’s community invests every day in the success of this university and its students,” said Dr. Dennis R. DePerro, president of St. Bonaventure. “Our alumni, parents and friends understand that the integration of the intellectual with the spiritual is key to a Bonaventure education — and they take great pride in supporting this irrefutable legacy.”
According to Bob Van Wicklin, vice president for Advancement, the arrival of Dr. DePerro in June 2017 as the university’s 21stpresident has generated excitement, with a number of gifts made to The Bonaventure Fund in his honor.
“People are enthusiastic about the new trajectory the university is on under Dennis’s leadership,” said Van Wicklin. “From the increased number of freshmen arriving in the fall to surpassing goal for The Bonaventure Fund, it’s clear that the Bonnie experience of creating meaningful, human connections matters to our supporters and today’s students.”
Gifts to The Bonaventure Fund provide financial aid and enhance the academic environment, Van Wicklin noted. He added that the fund was created in 1888 with the help of 90 alumni, and is now the most popular way for alumni and friends to support the university.
During the 2017-2018 fiscal year (unaudited results), St. Bonaventure also:
- Raised $13.3 million overall for the university;
- Witnessed the incredible one-day crowdfunding effort exceeding $50,000 by the Bona community to send the Wolfpack to Dayton, Ohio, and fund student watch parties during the NCAA First Four;
- Reached the highest giving levels ever for the Bonnies Athletic Fund and the Sixth Man Club, together bringing in over $1M after an exciting NCAA March Madness run;
- Challenged fans to contribute $26 to the Bonnies Athletic Fund — $1 for each of the team’s school record 26 wins this season — in the “$26 For 26” initiative, raising more than $12,000;
- Garnered the support of 1,488 Devereux and Young Grotto Society members who invested more than $6.6 million in the university;
- Asked the Bona Nation to “Rise to the Challenge” during the third-annual #BonaGivingDay, a 24-hour fundraising event that generated 947 gifts totaling more than $387,000;
- Honored the reunion classes ending in 3 and 8, whose fundraising efforts exceeded $500,000 for the Reunion Class Challenge;
- Hosted approximately 800 alumni during Reunion Weekend 2018; and
- Awarded more than $1.5 million to students through endowed and annually funded scholarships.
About the University:The nation’s first Franciscan university, we believe in the goodness of every person and in the ability of every person to do extraordinary things. St. Bonaventure University cultivates graduates who are confident and creative communicators, collaborative leaders and team members, and innovative problem solvers who are respectful of themselves, others, and the diverse world around them. Named the #5 best college value in the North by U.S. News and World Report, we are establishing pathways to internships, graduate schools and careers in the context of our renowned liberal arts tradition.