2008 SPONSORED SESSIONS
THE FRANCISCAN INSTITUTE
Michael F. Cusato, O.F.M.
Session I: "The Franciscans and the Avignon Papacy"
Session Organizer: Thomas Renna, Saginaw Valley State University
Session Moderator: Steven J. McMichael, O.F.M. Conv., University of St. Thomas (St. Paul, MN)
Thomas Renna, "Franciscan Theologians and Avignon"
Jacqueline Hamesse, "Instruments de travail philosophiques et théologiques: témoins de l'influence des franciscains à la Cour des papes d'Avignon"
Amanda Quantz, "The French Connection: Dante, the Friars and the Avignon Papacy of Clement V"
Robert Mayer, "Hostile Witness or Innocent Bystander? The Recruitment of William of Ockham in Defense of Franciscan Poverty"
Session II: "Franciscan Apocalypticism in the Thirteenth Century"
Session Organizer: E. Randolph Daniel (University of Kentucky)
Session Moderator: Michael F. Cusato, O.F.M. (Franciscan Institute)
- E. Randolph Daniel, "Reformers or Revolutionaries? Franciscan Apocalyptics"
- Fabio Troncarelli, "Early Joachimism and Early Franciscanism: Manuscript Evidence of a Common Destiny"
- Holly J. Grieco, "Episcopal Power and the Franciscan Ideal: St. Louis of Anjou, Bishop of Toulouse"
Session III: "The Body of Francis"
Session Organizer: Timothy J. Johnson (Flagler College)
Session Moderator: Timothy J. Johnson (Flagler College)
- Ann Astell, "The Senses of Francis"
- Steven J. Michael, O.F.M. Conv., "The Fate of the Body at Death: Francis, Muhammad and the Resurrection"
- Sarah Ritchey, "Arboreal-Corporal: The Body of Saint Francis as a Tree"
Session IV: "The 'Itinerarium mentis in Deum' of Bonaventure of Bagnoregio: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach"
Session Organizer: Lance Richey (Cardinal Stritch University)
Session Moderator: Lance Richey (Cardinal Stritch University)
- Dominic V. Monti, O.F.M.. "Assisi in Paris" The Historical Context of the 'Itinerarium' of Bonaventure"
- Gregory F. LaNave, "Knowing God through and in All Things: The Structural Logic of the 'Itinerarium mentis in Deum'
- Kevin L. Hughes, "A Song of Ascents: The 'Itinerarium' as Spiritual Excercise"
Session V: "The Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi: An Interior View"
Session Organizer: James R. Ginther (St. Louis University)
Session Moderator, James R. Ginther (St. Louis University)
- Richard Busby, "A Conventional Conventual: The Chapel of Saint Martin in the Lower Church of San Francesco in Assisi"
- Jay M. Hammond, "Identifying and Ordering the Four Marian Cycle Frescoes in the Apse's Upper Register"
- Amy Neff, "The Wedding of Cana at Assisi"
- FRANCISCAN GATHERING: Friday, 9 May 2008 (5:15 PM - 6:45 PM) - room to be announced
- The Franciscan Institute is also co-sponsoring two sessions with the International John Duns Scotus Society
- In addition: WFIT / Franciscan Federation is sponsoring three sessions in honor of Ingrid Peterson, O.S.F.
- Information from the immediate past conference, Kalamazoo 2007