THE FRANCISCAN INSTITUTE
Michael F. Cusato, O.F.M.
Session 1. "Christian-Muslim Relations in the Middle Ages"
Thursday May 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Organizer: Steven J. McMichael, O.F.M., Conv. (University of St. Thomas)
Presider: Thomas E. Burman (University of Tennessee)
- V. Kerry Inman (University of Pennsylvania)
"Correspondence between the Muslim King of Saragossa and an Abbot in France in the Eleventh Century"
- Elaine Madison (Hawaii Pacific University)
"Giotto's Frescoes in the Bardi Chapel: A New Interpretation"
- Christine Nuhad Chism (Rutgers University)
"A Moraccan Qaadi in the Byzantine Court: Ibn Battuta visits Constantinople"
- Steven J. McMichael, O.F.M. Conv. (University of St. Thomas)
"The Resurrection/Ascension of Jesus in Medieval Christian-Muslim Religious Literature"
Session 2. Bonaventure's Commentary on the Gospel of John
Thursday May 10, 2007 3:30PM
Organizer: Michael F. Cusato, O.F.M. (Franciscan Institute)
Presider: Michael F. Cusato, O.F.M. (Franciscan Institute)
- Robert J. Karris, O.F.M. (The Franciscan Institute)
"'Nova et vetera': The Re-emergence of Bonaventure's 'Commentary on the Gospel of John' in Franciscan Studies"
- Thomas Herbst, O.F.M. (Franciscan Study Centre, Canterbury)
"The Soteriological Implications of Love as Divine 'esse' in Bonaventure's 'Commentary on the Gospel of John'"
- William R. Carroll (Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd)
"The Fruits of Contemplation: Jesus, 'sacra doctrina' and the Vision of God in the 'Lectura super Ioannem' of Thomas Aquinas"
Session 3. "Bonaventure's Reduction of the Arts to Theology: Questions of Authenticity, Context and Significance"
Friday May 11, 2007 at 10:00 AM
Organizer: Dr. Timothy J. Johnson (Flagler College)
Presider: J.A. Wayne Hellmann (St. Louis University)
- Timothy J. Johnson (Flagler College)
"Back to Bacon: Dieter Hattrup and the Author of the De reductione"
- Joshua Benson (St. Louis University)
"The Lady with Ten Coins says 1254: The Case for an Early Date"
- Jay M. Hammond (St. Louis University)
"The Series of Collationes delivered at Paris suggests 1270-71: The Case for a Late Date"
- Kevin L. Hughes (Villanova University)
"Reduction's Future: Wisdom, Technology and the Order of Knowledge"
Session 4. "Robert Grosseteste and the Early Franciscan Intellectual Tradition"
Friday May 11, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Organizer: James R. Ginther (St. Louis University)
Presider: Joseph Goering (University of Toronto)
- Boyd Taylor Coolman (Boston College)
"Re-Thinking the Affective Dionysianism of Thomas Gallus"
- Elizabeth Staley Evans (St. Louis University)
"Robert Grosseteste's Commentary on the Divine Names"
- Michael Robson, O.F.M. Conv. (St. Edmund's College, Cambridge)
"Robert Grosseteste's Sermon to the Franciscans on the Feast of St. Martin of Tours"
Session 5. "Franciscan Art and Iconography: New Perspectives"
Friday May 11, 2007 at 3:30 PM
Organizer: William R. Cook (SUNY Geneseo)
Presider: William R. Cook (SUNY Geneseo)
- Jennifer Lane (Brigham Young University, Hawaii)
"Jerusalem in Assisi: Insights in the Basilica of San Francesco"
- Bradley Franco (Syracuse University)
"Art and the Franciscan Mission: Thirteenth-Century Images of St. Francis of Assisi"
- Louisa Burnham (Middlebury College)
"Beyond Bonaventure: An Iconography of the Fraticelli"
- Santa Casciani (John Carroll University)
"Franciscan Influences on Piero Della Francesca (1416-1492)"
Session 6. "Franciscan Travel: Mission or Merriment?"
Saturday May 12, 2007 at 10:00 AM
Organizer: Amanda Quantz (Catholic Theological Union)
Presider: Paul Lachance, O.F.M. (Catholic Theological Union)
- Hannah Barker
"Apocalypse Now? John of Plano Carpini's Mission to the Mongols"
- Amanda Quantz (Catholic Theological Union)
"Romancing the Pope: Silk Road Missionaries and the Papacy of Nicholas IV"
- Hoang Linh, O.F.M. (Siena College)
"A Heart-Mind Turn: Confucianism in Vietnam at the Period of Franciscan Missionaries"