|The 150th Anniversary Celebration for St. Bonaventure University was a 15-month series of events and activities that started in March of 2008 and concluded in May of 2009. The celebration spanned two calendar years because the first building on campus was dedicated in 1858 and the first classes were offered in 1859.
In attendance at the kickoff events were more than 20 descendants of St. Bonaventure University’s founding friar, Pamphilo da Magliano, who are traveled to the University from Abruzzi, Italy. Also attending were descendants of Nicholas and Mary Devereux, the University’s founding benefactors.
"The Anniversary Convocation and the entire 15-month celebration of our 150 years of service provided unique and tremendous opportunities for us to celebrate the past as we prepare for a future full of hope," said Sr. Margaret Carney, O.S.F., S.T.D., president of the University. "As we honored the legacies of our founders Nicholas and Mary Devereux, Fr. Pamphilo da Magliano, and Bishop John Timon, we also asked all those associated with St. Bonaventure University to consider the legacy that they will leave for future generations. This set the stage for us to dream great dreams for an extraordinary future for St. Bonaventure University, just as our founders dreamed some 150 years ago."
The Anniversary Pilgrimage program took place May 22-June 2, 2008. This special pilgrimage program traced the Irish roots of the University as depicted in the homeland of Nicholas Devereux. The pilgrimage then departed Ireland for Italy, where traditional pilgrimage sites and experiences commemorated the history of the Franciscan tradition through an investigation of the lives of St. Francis, St. Clare and St. Bonaventure.
June of 2008 brought the Holy Name Province meeting to the campus of St. Bonaventure University (June 1-6) immediately followed by the 150th Anniversary Reunion, June 6-8, 2008.
A wide range and variety of programs were held during the remainder of the Anniversary celebration, with the hallmark event centering on the Feast of St. Francis, Oct. 3-5, 2008. We were especially pleased that we shared our celebration with the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany, who also celebrated their 150th anniversary during the 2008-09 calendar years.
Students earning undergraduate and graduate degrees during the 15-month anniversary period wore special bronze anniversary medallions given to them and worn during Commencement Exercises.
St. Bonaventure University’s 150th Anniversary celebration concluded in May of 2009 as the University simultaneously celebrated the successful conclusion of its capital campaign, Anniversary Campaign for SBU, which raised more than $95 million for scholarships, faculty and staff development and research, and a wide range of academic and extracurricular programs.