Recent Publications &c
- “Robert Creeley: Four Letters to Charles Olson, 1953-1970.” Open Letter: A Canadian Journal of Writing and Theory (2013): 110-122. Introduction to selection of letters from the book manuscript. Edited with Rod Smith and Peter Baker for special issue on “Olson at the Century” guest-edited by Steve McCaffery.
- “Avant-Garde Interrupted: A New Narrative after AIDS.” Contemporary Literature 52.4 (winter 2011): 630-657. Essay for special issue on “American Poetry, 2000-2009,” edited by Michael Davidson.
- “A Zine Ecology of Charles Bernstein's Selected Poems,” Postmodern Culture 20.3 (May 2010).
- Interview for “Into the Field #5” (podcast series), hosted by Steve McLaughlin, Jacket2 (June 2011).
- “The Small Press Traffic School of Dissimulation: New Narrative, New Sentence, New Left” Jacket2 (April 2011).
- Guest for PoemTalk #41, “Ezra in Venice: A Discussion of ‘Canto III’ of The Cantos by Ezra Pound.” PennSound and the Kelly Writers House at the University of Pennsylvania. Released March 1, 2011.
- “Gender Performance, Performance Enhancement, and Poetry.” Paideuma: Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics 36 (Summer 2010): 181-197.
- “Fashion Auras” (on poet Hannah Weiner). Wild Orchids 2 (Summer 2010): 19-43.
- Review of Borders (Anthology of Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish poetry and conceptual writing), Ed. Susanne Christensen and Audun Lindholm (Chain, 2008) in The Poetry Project Newsletter 220 (Oct-Nov 2009): 26-28.
- “New Narrative and the Making of Language Poetry.” American Literature 81.4 (December 2009): 805-832.
- Review of Hannah Weiner, Hannah Weiner’s Open House. Ed. Patrick Durgin (Kenning, 2007) in The Poetry Project Newsletter 212 (Oct-Nov 2007): 23-25.
- “Susan Howe’s Art and Poetry, 1968-1974.” Contemporary Literature 47.3 (Fall 2006): 440-471.
- “Robert Creeley, “‘Wow. I called it and why not’: 7 letters, 1950–1961.” Co-edited with Peter Baker and Rod Smith for Robert Creeley memorial feature. Jacket Magazine 31 (2006).
- “Days of Future Past: Archive, Institutions, Poetics.” Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture since 1900, February 22, 2013.
- “The Poetics of Print, 1961-Present.” Invited organizer and chair for panel sponsored by the Council of Literary Magazines and Press, MLA Convention, Boston, January 4, 2013.
- “Black Mountain Exodus: San Francisco and the Mechanics of Legitimization at Mid-Century.” Modernist Studies Association Conference XIV, Las Vegas, October 19, 2012.
- Invited presenter for roundtable on “Internationalism of the Avant-Garde,” with Benjamin Friedlander and Vanessa Place, Brock University, Ontario, September 14, 2012.
- “Long Poems, Professionalization, Magazines: Beverley Dahlen's A Reading and Ron Silliman's Alphabet.” Invited presentation for plenary panel on post-genre writing, National Poetry Foundation Conference on Poetry and Poetics of the 1980s, University of Maine, July 1, 2012.
- “The Geography of Genre.” National Poetry Foundation Conference on Poetry and Poetics of the 1980s, University of Maine, June 27, 2012.
- “Vampire Editing: On Dodie Bellamy and Mirage,” Conference on Poetry Communities and the Individual Talent, University of Pennsylvania, April 13-14, 2012.
- “Avant-Garde Interrupted,” Panel member with Kate Bornstein and Camille Roy for Tendencies: Poetics & Practice series, Martin E. Segal Theatre, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY, February 15, 2012.
- “The LeftWrite Conference 30 Years Later: Kaplan Harris in Conversation with Bruce Boone and Robert Glück,” Small Press Traffic Literary Arts Center, San Francisco, CA, December 4 2011.
- “Larry Eigner by the Numbers: Black Mountain Review to Gay Sunshine and L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E,” Modernist Studies Association Conference XIII, Buffalo, NY, October 8, 2011.
- “Modernist Soundscapes,” seminar leader with Steve Evans, Modernist Studies Association Conference XIII, Buffalo, NY, October 6, 2011.
- “The Correspondence of Robert Creeley.” Invited presentation to the Yale Working Group in Contemporary Poetry, Yale University, March 25, 2011.
- “Prudish, Kinky, and Wicked: A 1970s Kind of Modernism.” Panel for Modernist Studies Association Conference XII, Victoria, British Columbia, 13 Nov 2010.
- “‘JGT Very glad of your company’: Three Code Signals for the Conceptual Writing of Hannah Weiner.” Invited presentation, “Hannah Weiner: A Roundtable,” The Poetics Program, University at Buffalo, 29 Oct 2010.
- “The Unpublished Correspondence of Charles Olson and Robert Creeley.” Invited presentation, “Olson at the Century: A Symposium,” The Poetics Program, University at Buffalo, 15 Oct 2010.
- “Causes, Movements, Poets.” Invited Presentation to the Poetics Group, University of Pennsylvania, 4 October 2010.
- Invited reader for Small Press Journal Launch, sponsored by the Poetics Program, University at Buffalo, Western New York Book Arts Center, Buffalo, NY, 2 Oct 2010.
- “Creeley's Buffalo in Letters.” Invited presenter and panel organizer, Black Mountain North Symposium, Rochester Institute of Technology, 2 Oct 2010.
- “After New Narrative: Innovation and Its Social Discontents.” Invited lecture for Small Press in the Archive Lecture Series, The Poetry Collection, Poetics Program and Special Collections, University at Buffalo, March 17, 2010.
- “Translation by Détournement: From Jack Spicer to Bruce Boone and Robert Glück.” MLA Presidential Forum Panel on Translation, Modern Language Association Convention, Philadelphia, 27-30 Dec 2009.
- Roundtable speaker, “Languages of Translation.” Modernist Studies Association Conference XI, Montréal, Québec, 7 Nov 2009.
- “Editing the Letters of Poet Robert Creeley.” Faculty Research Presentation, St. Bonaventure University, November 12, 2008. Invited by Dr. Joel Horowitz.
- “Sex and the Sentence: Dodie Bellamy and Lyn Hejinian in the 1980s.” Lifting Belly High: Conference on Women’s Poetry Since 1900, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, September 11- 13, 2008.
- “The Small Press Traffic School of Dissimulation.” National Poetry Foundation Poetry Conference on the 1970s, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, June 14, 2008.
- “Bay Area Poetics, 1980-1985.” Invited lecture, Society for the Humanities, A. D. White House, Cornell University, April 3, 2008.
- “Hannah Weiner from Radcliffe College to the Lower East Side.” Event celebrating the publication of Hannah Weiner’s Open House (Kenning, 2006) at St. Mark's Poetry Project, New York, NY, November 28, 2007.
- “From Airmail to Email: Editing a Multigenerational Correspondence.” College English Association – Middle Atlantic Group Conference, Montgomery College, Rockville, Maryland, March 10, 2007.
- “New Narrative and the Making of Language Poetry.” 20th-Century Literature and Culture Conference, University of Louisville, Kentucky, February 22, 2007.
- “Gender Performance, Performance Enhancement, and Poetry.” South Atlantic Modern Language Association Convention, Charlotte, North Carolina, November 11, 2006.
- “Fashion Auras, Culture, and Gender Norms: the Journals of Hannah Weiner.” CUNY Conference on Contemporary Poetry, New York, New York, November 4, 2005.
- “Provincializing the New York School: Kenneth Koch’s Impressions of Africa.” Modern Studies Association Conference, Vancouver, Canada, October 22, 2004.
- “Bottom Up: Louis Zukofsky’s Henry Adams.” Poetics at Buffalo Symposium, “Re-Reading Zukofsky’s Bottom: on Shakespeare,” SUNY-Buffalo, October 31, 2003.
- Ruthless Grip Poetry Series at Pyramid Atlantic Arts Center. With Mel Nichols, 2006-2007.
- In Your Ear Poetry Series at the District of Columbia Arts Center. With Lorraine Graham and Tom Orange, 2003-2005.